A new prez, a new baby and frozen dog turds...

Today marked a significant day in our country's history. I think you could make a convincing argument that today was quite possibly the most significant day in our country's history after July 4, 1776. I don't think that's an overstatement in the least, although one could make strong arguments for other landmark events as well, but this was certainly right up there.

And I missed it all, because at about the same time Barack Obama was taking the Oath of Office, Beth, Ava and myself were introduced to the newest little Branstner for the first time, floating around in Beth's tummy. We had our first ultrasound today and everything looked fine: one head, two arms, two legs, one heart -- and that's a pretty good start. Oh, and just so Mr. Stokes knows, there's only one in there, not two. I admit that I sort of had a premonition that there would be two little monsters squirming around in there, but nope, I was wrong. I also have a premonition that this is another girl, so I might be wrong about that as well. Only time will tell, and since Beth is already in the second trimester, it will indeed tell us before we know it.

I think Ava was pretty impressed with the ultrasound. Now she's talking about the baby in Mom's belly, so I think she is sort of putting two and two together, at least as well as a three year old can (she'll be three in just a couple of weeks, and I am still trying to process how it is possible for time to go that fast). After the doctor's appointment, we went to Culver's and had one of their sinful Butterburgers... how can something called a Butterburger NOT taste good?... and then had a frozen yogurt sundae which made Ava squeal with delight. Oh, the small joys in the life. There are rewards for being good at the doctor's office and frozen yogurt sundaes are one of them.

I would post pictures of the ultrasound here on my blog, but to be honest, I don't have a clue what I'm am supposed to be seeing. It's just a black and white blob which looked much more impressive when it was wiggling and flipping around during the ultrasound. When we get more defined pictures I will post those, so we'll just have to wait and see.

This afternoon I had the pleasure I shoveling dog turds out of the yard. Just what you wanted to hear, right? The nice thing is they are frozen solid, so I pretended I was a hockey player shooting pucks to make the chore a little more enjoyable. ...Hey it's my world, okay? Admit it, you probably would have done the same thing.

I guess there's not much more to talk about right now. I was hoping to escape to the garage and puff on an Iguana tonight, but I think I'm too tired to enjoy it. It's been a long day, but a happy and memorable one. I'll be back later this week.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!