A new leaf

I can already tell 2009 is going to be different. Last night marked a watershed occasion: I was asleep before 9 p.m. This was the first time in my adult memory that I did not stay up to usher in the New Year. I had two beers (one for me and one for Beth, of course) and the cold beverages had a sedative effect on me. I was out like a light and didn't open my eyes until 6:30 a.m., when I awoke feeling totally refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to take on the world...

...okay, I'm getting a little carried away. But I did wake up feeling well-rested.

So I got up, brewed a pot of coffee and went out to the garage to puff on an Iguana and think about the New Year (it was 16 degrees this morning, which felt balmy compared to yesterday!).

I read Stacy's blog yesterday about God making all things new and I thought about how my New Year is going to be different. I decided this will be a year of anticipation.

The biggest anticipated event by far, of course, will be the birth of my second child. I will be filled with joy, anxiety, hope and worry until that day arrives (200 days to go, folks!!).

This is also the year I turn 40. I'm not really looking forward to it, but it is a landmark event in my life. Ten years ago 40 sounded so old. Gosh, time can change your perspective on things can't it? Just think, when my father was my age it would be another 14 years before I would be born. Oofdah.

Speaking of my dad, this is also the year that I will launch the Oak Valley to Po Valley blog. It is coming soon and I am set to go. I've been working on it behind the scenes and I think it's going to be very interesting. The blog is for everyone to enjoy, and if you know of someone who would find it interesting to read, please pass the word; but I hope my nieces and nephews in particular take the time to read it (dad's grandchildren and great-grandchildren). Most of them were pretty young when dad passed away and I think this blog will shed new light on the kind of man their Grandpa Branstner was. I think they will be impressed. The first entry will be this coming Tuesday.

It is New Years Day, which means college football galore! Woo-hoo! I am thankful I have a wife who puts up with it. Then again, that's why she's my wife and not yours!

I hope you all had a safe New Years Eve. I'm looking forward to blogging another year away. I admit, I'm addicted to this blogging thing. I enjoy typing out my thoughts and I am glad you enjoy reading them. I can hardly believe my counter has surpassed 1,400 visits since late October. Thanks for coming back again and again... I'll be right here bullshitting my way through life as I know it, in my own write.

Happy New Year everybody!!


Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!