Computer woes

Can I vent for a moment? Good.

Good heavens, am I having computer issues. I have McAfee virus protection, but I'm not overly impressed with it. In fact, I can't even log onto the darn web site right now. My virus protection keeps saying that the "detection signature file" is 8-29 days old and it tells me to click "FIX" to fix the problem. So like a good little lemming, I click fix, wait a few minutes and a window pops up and says everything is up-to-date, but it still says I need to fix the problem.

Another issue is my computer freezes when I try to load my personal settings. It takes multiple attempts at shutting the dumb thing off and turning it back on before it finally loads properly. When things finally get up and running, surfing the net is extremely sluggish. It feels like I am back on a dial-up modem.

My thinking was that this all pointed toward a virus, even though I just spent a bunch of money renewing McAfee. So I spent $$$ tonight on a different Spyware/virus protection package ("CyberDefender," recommended by Consumer Reports) and sure enough it found a bug that McAfee did not recognize (hijackFile_scvhost, it was called). I spent $30 for a subscription and got it removed.

Could it be that this same bug corrupted my McAfee virus protection and is that why I get a "page load error" when I try to log on to McAfee.com??? Is that why it keeps saying my computer is not protected and I need to update my detection signature file? But why would this continue if the bug is removed? What the heck is going on here?!

Man, I wish I knew this stuff like my old friend, Steve. He was a guru at this stuff.

I do admit that surfing the net seems to be back to normal again after that spyware/malware was removed. Pages load quickly and it seems to be working fine once again.

But I still have a problem with start-up when I had to reboot. It took a couple tries for my personal settings to load.

Does anybody know what this problem could be? My system is Windows XP Media Center. I love computers when they work right and I hate them when they don't.

Okay, I vented. I feel better.

My last night of work tonight. Beth is sick (as in catching-a-cold sick) and I feel like I am getting sick. I think we both need sleep. I am pounding the zinc, that seemed to help last time.

More later.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!