MASH Unit

I feel like our house has been a MASH unit lately. All of us have been sick, Beth especially. She felt well enough to go to work today, so that was a good sign.

Martha's had a couple bad days, too. She was having what appeared to be spasms in her left rear leg (not unlike what you would see in someone with multiple sclerosis). Her coordination is getting worse, but today was a better day for her, so we'll keep trying.

And, like I mentioned before, my stupid computer has been sick too. I finally called a business called "Brainerd Computers" today. The guy I spoke to had a Scottish/Irish/English accent, which caught me off guard (actually, I almost hung up on him at first, because I thought he was drunk... or retarded... or both. Silly me). But he seemed friendly and very knowledgeable. I explained the problem to him and he seemed to instantly know what it was. All I could really recall from his rapid-fire Scottish techno-speak was the phrase "very intelligent virus" and the words "root" and "launch." But he said he is currently offering a free diagnostic scan ($60 value), and typically this type of job takes about one-and-a-half hours, at $60 per hour labor.

Damn, I wish I would have taken more of an interest in computers when I was in high school.

So he is going to take a look at it tomorrow, get a diagnosis and let me know how much this is going to be. My fear, initially, was that this was going to be $200-$300. Geek Squad was ridiculously expensive. I'm not sure how they even stay in business. I went to Computer One yesterday and they were talking $200 to $250 range. Beth said if it was going to cost that much, then we should just save that money and buy a new laptop. She had a good point. However, if Brainerd Computers dude is right, I will end up paying around $100. It's still pricey, but only half of what I was going to pay.

We'll see... but it pays to explore all options before making a decision.

I'd still like to know how I got this virus with this expensive McAfee software on board. Maybe Kathy's right. Maybe I don't need this high-priced stuff on my computer. I might just cancel my subscription later this week. I've got 30 days to get my money back.

What else is happening in our neck of the woods? I think we are going to put up our Christmas tree this weekend. I suppose it is about time we do that. I don't know why, but I just don't feel very "Christmassy" this year (I'm pretty sure I didn't spell that right. In fact, it's probably not even a word).

I had to go to my favorite store (Wal-Mart) yesterday to get some sickness supplies (I went to Cub Pharmacy first, but came up empty handed). Luckily, I immediately found what I needed and I used one of those Do-It-Yourself check out lanes. I was in and out of that store in less than four minutes (I timed myself). Of course, the place was packed and crazy; some guy was playing Christmas carols on a tuba while a Salvation Army volunteer rang his dingle-ling (as Chuck Berry would say). I imagine this was supposed to put you in the Christmas spirit, but it didn't work. The low bellowing of the tuba juxtaposed with the high-pitched squelch of the bell just added to the already-tense atmosphere.

And why do I have to feel guilty every time I walk past a Salvation Army bell ringer without putting something in the pot? I hate that.

Happy frickin' Holidays.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

Is Spring Here?