Dear Mom,

Today would have been your 80th birthday.

When I think of you today,
I wonder how things might have been.

I bet we would have done something special for you today,
to celebrate this milestone in your long, rich life.

I bet we would have had a sur
prise party for you,
on this cold November afternoon.

I bet you would have pretended to be upset with us
for giving you so much attention.

I bet you would have said something like, "Shame on you!"
Or (more likely), "You damn kid
s!"

I bet you would have said it with tears in your eyes.


I bet you would have been glowing, surrounded by your
grandchildren and great-grandchildren on this special day.


I bet we would have had chocolate cake and strong coffee,
ham sandwiches with lots of butter
and your homema
de dill pickles.

I bet we would have talked about the snow we got last night,
and a new recipe you found in Good Housekeeping.

I bet you would have told us
about the new quilt you had just started,
and the beautiful cedar waxwing
you saw at your bird feeder yesterday.

I bet we would have taken a family picture
with the new camera we gave to you as a birthday gift.

I bet you would have looked at that camera and said,
"I'll never figure this darn thing out."


I bet we would have laughed all afternoon.

Yes, I bet that's what we would have done today,
but you left us far too soon.



__


One day further from the last day I saw you
Is one day closer to the next time I will.

Happy 80th Birthday, Mom.









Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!