A moment of zen

I don't understand the inner workings of a dog's mind. How do they know certain things? I woke up at the ridiculous hour of 4:30 AM (I got my four hours of sleep, which I guess is all I'm supposed to get). When I awoke, I simply opened my eyes. I didn't shift in the bed, I didn't yawn, I didn't move a limb, I merely opened my eyes. Our boxer, Gracie, somehow knew immediately I was awake, as evidenced by her stubby tail swishing in the sheets (translation: "I know that you know that I know you're awake and you might as well take me out for my morning dump now, because I will harass you without mercy until you do.").

Once I'm awake, I'm awake. I didn't fight the inevitable, so I got up and took out the dogs. I brewed a fresh pot of coffee (Folgers Breakfast Blend) and decided to partake in the only vice I have in my life: enjoying a fine cigar. So went out to the garage, lit up an Iguana (hecho a mano in the Dominican Republic), sipped a steaming cup of joe from my Tabasco brand coffee cup (a souvenir from Texas), and watched a fine mist fall from the inky sky on this balmy early morning.

It was my moment of zen. Or something like that.

It's past noon now and the inky skies have turned corpse gray (like they have been since, oh I don't know, forever). Beth has left for a hair appointment, then she's meeting her mom and they are starting their Christmas shopping today. So it's me and Ava again today. She's been a little too quiet, I better go see what she's doing.

Oh, before I forget, we watched a very good movie last night, "Juno." It had been nominated for several Academy Awards last year, but I never had an interest in seeing it because it didn't sound appealing to me: a 16 year old girl gets pregnant and she has to decide what to do with her unborn child. But this film did not have a predictable plot by any means, and it ended up taking several twists and turns that I was not expecting. I actually ended up wondering how it would end (which doesn't happen to me very often when I watch a movie). I thought I finally had the ending figured out, but I was wrong! Ellen Page stars in the lead role and she is a terrific young actress.

This is pretty boring... but not nearly as boring as sitting in this house right now. Man, I've got to find a hobby, know what I mean?? Okay, I better make sure my child has not shaved her eyebrows or something.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

Is Spring Here?