Veteran's Day

I noticed that 334 people have visited my blog since I started counting 18 days ago. Good heavens, the pressure is on! I better get up-to-date here. My readers await me!

Could I get more full of myself? Yeah, I probably could...

Beth is at work, Ava is watching "Maggie and the Ferocious Beast," a cartoon about a little girl with a very active imagination (hmmm... fitting my daughter should be watching it), so this is a good time to catch up on my blog.

A light snow is falling outside, much to Ava's excitement. She's already asked 14 times to go out and make a snowman. I've already explained 14 times that we don't have enough snow yet, but her neurons are not making that connection. Some things cannot be processed by a two year old mind. "Not enough snow" is one of them. "Daddy stands up to tinkle because he's a boy" is another one. But we won't get into that today.

Today is Veterans Day, or if you are old school, Armistice Day. I would like express my gratitude to every veteran for their service to our country, especially those I know personally (you know who you are). Most of all, I would like to thank this handsome guy:





I have had quite a few people comment on the picture you see at the top of my blog (officially called the "header"). I've been meaning to talk about that picture, because it is very special to me. I found it while digging through some old photos a couple weeks ago. The original is actually color, but I personally prefer black and white photos, and since I have the technology to do it, I changed it to black and white!

My mom took this picture and she wrote on the back of the original,"Frosty Morning." You can clearly see a light snow on the ground, and if you look close, you can see the oak trees are frosty and the roof of the barn is also frosty. The picture is stamped "Dec. 86," indicating the film was developed then. I am not sure if that is when the picture was actually taken, because Mom would often have piles of film waiting to be developed, and some times those rolls of film would sit around for months and months, but at least it gives me a ballpark figure of how old this picture is.

If I were to give this photo a title, I would call it "The Front Yard of My Childhood." This is where I played and where I grew up. This was the view from my room; it is what I saw every morning for 18 years. This photo was taken facing west, and I saw many beautiful sunsets slipping just below the tree line you see at the back of the picture.

Time has passed and the buildings in this picture no longer exist. Only those two mighty oaks remain, still healthy and strong. I love those trees. I couldn't say how old they are, but they were there long before I was born -- and I hope they are still there long after I'm gone.

Geez, I have been in a very nostalgic, sentimental mood lately. The holidays always do this to me. Some people get depressed during the holidays. I get nostalgic.

And then I get drunk.


Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!