Goodbye Johan

Yesterday, Baxter was five degrees shy of the all-time record high for January 28th. We hit 39 degrees a little more than 24 hours ago. Right now, as of 8 p.m., it is 17 degrees below zero. Wow. Add a 20 m.p.h. wind to the mix and you've got a cold night to look forward to.

Last night work was pretty slow. I am not going to complain. The full moon has come and gone and the crazies have gone to their locked units where the scary voices won't get them. Man, there are some screwed up people in our little town. I am NOT a psych nurse. The end. Crazy bastards.

So, I'm not sure what the Minnesota Twins are doing, but I have to admit that I don't follow baseball that closely, including the Twins. I do know they did not attempt to re-sign Torri Hunter, who has now gone to the west coast. And today they traded Johan Santana, arguably the best pitcher in MLB (first place in strike outs, ERA and wins since 2003... how much better can you get?!). I believe this coming year may have been Santana's last and the Twins weren't even considering extending him, so they went ahead and got something for him in a trade. But my understanding was that if they traded Santana, they were going to hold onto Hunter. Now they don't have either. You can't tell me that isn't going to hurt a little.

I imagine the theory is this: the Twins have got a new stadium coming and they don't really have to field a good team because fans will flock to the new venue just to say they've been to a ball game there. In fact, I admit I'll be one of those lemmings. But the novelty will soon wear off and then what? I guess the Twins have done a good job managing their personnel for a long time, so I shouldn't be spouting off opinions... especially when I don't follow the sport very closely. But losing two superstars in a matter of a couple of months is pretty significant.

Man, in the last year, Minnesota sports has lost Kevin Garnett, Torri Hunter and Johan Santana. Just prior to that, we lost Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper. If it wasn't for Adrian Peterson, we would be rather "faceless" in professional sports. I guess there's JM2 (Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer), but they are a couple of cheesy white guys. They aren't what the sports media likes to call "sexy," a term I think is just plain stupid when describing anything sports related.

Well, if you don't like sports, this was a pretty boring entry. Since this is Super Bowl week, I think there will more to come!

Stay warm everyone!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!