Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all! Work was surprisingly quiet last night, considering it was New Years' Eve. That means, of course, that all hell will break loose tonight, but I will worry about that when I get there. I got a bit of sleep today, now I am up with Ava. Beth is working an evening shift, so Ava and I are spending another evening together. Unfortunately for Ava, it is New Years Day, which means FOOTBALL galore, so I have set up a little theater for her in the living room (my 12 inch t.v. from my office and an old DVD player). I feel like a failure as a father, because I promised myself I would never use t.v. as a distraction for my child. However, she is addicted to Mickey Mouse, and the DVD she got for Christmas ("Mickey's Club House Treasure Hunt" or something like that) looks to be educational and she seems to be getting something out of it (i.e. interacting with the program), rather than sitting there like a zombie. And, of course, she gets Mickey Mouse in moderation. At least it isn't the Teletubbies or Barney with those stupid, hyperactive, meth-addicted kids on that program. Good grief. I'll take good ol' Mickey any day.

The Vikings season is now over. I did not expect them to do as well as they did this year (I was hoping for a 6-10 season, so I was pleasantly surprised they made a playoff run). I am looking forward to the NFL playoffs and as long as the Packers are in it, I will have a team to hate. Football is always more fun if you have a team or player you love to hate. I hope Brett Favre doesn't retire anytime soon, because I've hated that jerk for 17 seasons. He's kind of like an old, familiar pillow and I would miss hating him if he retired. Did you know he was born October 10, 1969? I was born October 8, 1969, so that practically makes us twins. Yeah, right. I must admit, though, that I look at him as Montgomery looked at Rommel. You hate him as your sworn enemy, but you grudgingly respect the hell out of him. Do I wish Favre was dressed in purple rather than that disgusting Packer puke green? You bet I do. He's is definitely a first ballot Hall of Fame player and off the field he is a decent human being. But he is the face of the Green Bay Packers and I hope he falls flat on that face in the playoffs. Screw him.

Geez, how did I go off on that rant?

Well, I guess I will make us some chicken and mashed potatoes for supper. Ava's getting hungry, the dogs are getting hungry and I am getting hungry.

I am watching the Rose Bowl and it doesn't seem like much of a game at the moment. USC is kicking the snot out of Illinois, and that's fine by me. You see, I don't go for the whole "cheer for the Big Ten" baloney. Illinois is loaded with Chicago Bears fans. The only thing worse than a Bears fan is a Packers fan.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!