A new roof... Yippee!

Today has been a lazy day. Beth has been catching up on sleep. She got up at 8 a.m. Then took a nap at 9:30 a.m. Then she got up at 11 a.m. and we all went to Country Kitchen for breakfast, just for fun. For whatever reason, Ava was very well behaved and we had a very pleasant morning. Right now, Beth is laying on the couch taking another nap. I wonder if she's coming down with something?

I know what you're thinking... and the answer is no, she's not.

We had some rain over the weekend and I noticed that our water stain in the ceiling has grown ever so slightly (I outlined it with a pencil two weeks ago). So when we got home, we called a guy named Art Lordbock, who State Farm recommended. Incredibly, he answered his phone and said he'd be out today (we've tried to contacting another roofer who was recommended to us, but he has never returned our calls, despite leaving two messages. Yes, a typical contractor).

Anyway, Art came out about an hour later, surveyed our roof and told me exactly what I thought I'd hear. I need a new roof. Not new shingles, but a new roof. That's just absolutely wonderful!!

He said there has been no weather damage, just normal wear and tear, coupled with cheap shingles, so there is zero chance this will be covered by insurance. State Farm already told us that if this leak is from normal conditions, they will not cover it. I guess I didn't expect them to.

The rough estimate is about $8,000, but he'll send us a formal estimate in the mail this week.

No, this was not part of the plan this fall. You can file this one under the "unforeseen" category.

I am, of course, going to get a second opinion before going any further. The big problem is getting another contractor to answer his phone or return a call. I would like to get this done before winter sets in. Why couldn't this have happened in June?

If anyone out there has any bright ideas on how to get a loan for $8,000 with a low interest rate, we're all ears. In today's economy, I don't think such an animals exists.

Did I mention Christmas is 57 days away? The timing is just impeccable.

Do you ever feel like you're being pecked to death by a duck?

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!