Thoughts on 39

So I woke up this afternoon (having worked last night) at 4:21 p.m. Why is this significant? Well, at that precise time 39 years ago, I was born. On Wednesday, October 8th, 1969.

I share my birthday with a few famous folks, like Chevy Chase, Sigourney Weaver and Jesse Jackson (lucky me!).

It was also on my birthday that the great Chicago fire started in 1871 (as in "Mrs. O'Leary's cow" great Chicago fire). Four square miles of the city were destroyed, including the building that housed the original copy of the Emancipation Proclamation (bet you didn't know that!). I'm not sure what the Emancipation Proclamation was doing in Chicago, but a fact is a fact.

It was also on this date in 1918 that Sergeant York killed 25 German soldiers and captured 132 more almost single-handedly during World War I, making him an American hero for the ages.

So a few interesting things happened on October 8th, besides the birth of a certain child who came screaming into the world that late afternoon in '69.

Beth treated me to stuffed pasta shells for supper and a football Dairy Queen cake! I also got Ladies of the Night, the newest book by Gene Simmons, and the first solo CD by Darius Rucker, lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish, which was just released. So that was a pretty darn nice way to wake up.

Did anyone watch the debate last night? I watched a portion of it, but I am still deadlocked. I think both candidates are sincere in their desire for change in Washington (and I don't think either will succeed in changing anything... I am right about this and will be proved right). I also got the distinct feeling that these two men actually like each other, even though they don't agree on many issues.

Once again, when it comes to my vote, I don't think the actual candidates will sway me one way or the other. It will be outside forces, like VP candidates and misinformed wives who are stumping for their husbands.

I am talking about Cindy McCain, who today accused Obama of voting against funding for our troops in Iraq. This is the truth, but just a partial truth. Obama voted against that particular bill because it did not contain a plan for withdrawal.

What Cindy did not mention was that her husband, John McCain, also voted against funding for our troops two months ago, because that bill proposed a military withdrawal from Iraq in 18 months, which McCain is against.

For anyone reading this, be absolutely sure you know the facts before you buy into either campaign's political propaganda. It is your responsibility as a U.S. citizen to dig a little bit and learn the facts for yourself (and it has never been easier than it is now, with the world at your fingertips).

Meanwhile, Sarah Palin is still on her warpath about Obama being "pals" with a terrorist. She just won't let this go... and I don't understand it.

Why was this a non-issue until just five days ago? I will let you come to your own conclusion about that, but it is worth thinking about. Palin does a lot of fingerpointing, but does she really know anything about foreign or domestic policy? Education or healthcare? Her cutesy "maverick" schtick has grown pathetically old and it is absolutely dead in the water.

The Obama campaign, meanwhile, has started to use the "R" word to describe Palin, which I think is just great.

No, I'm not talking "retard"...

I'm talking "racist."

Yes! Now the mudslinging is really getting good!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragic Life of Jeanine Deckers

The Bad Guys

"New" old pictures!